What Are the Signs of an Allergic Reaction to Honey?

Signs of an allergic reaction to honey may include hives.
Just like most all food allergies, honey allergies can cause minor skin rashes or dangerous breathing problems.
Honey.
Piece of a honeycomb.
Vomiting is a common sign of an allergic reaction to honey.
Itching and rashes are common skin problems associated with an allergic reaction to honey.
Article Details
  • Written By: Meshell Powell
  • Edited By: Melissa Wiley
  • Last Modified Date: 01 September 2014
  • Copyright Protected:
    2003-2014
    Conjecture Corporation
  • Print this Article

An allergic reaction to honey can vary from mild to potentially life threatening, depending on the severity of the allergy. Some of the most common signs of a honey allergy include respiratory symptoms, such as coughing or wheezing, along with itchy, watery eyes or a runny nose. Skin conditions, such as eczema, or gastrointestinal disturbances, such as vomiting or diarrhea, may sometimes occur. Swelling of the face, lips, or throat may indicate a severe type of allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis and constitutes a medical emergency.

Mild to moderate respiratory disturbances are common when a person has an allergic reaction to honey. This may include typical allergy symptoms such as itchy, watery eyes, a runny nose, sneezing, nasal congestion, and headaches. Infections may develop as a result of these symptoms, or the patient may feel foggy-headed. The immune system may become weakened, especially if honey is consumed on a regular basis in spite of the allergy.

The reaction may lead to skin changes as well, and can include itching and the development of a localized or widespread rash. A raised rash that may itch and burn, known as hives, is a common allergic response. Ongoing use of honey by a person with an allergy to honey may lead to a skin condition known as eczema.

Ad

Some patients may experience a variety of gastrointestinal disturbances, including nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea as symptoms of a honey allergy. Abdominal discomfort or cramping may occur as well. Excessive diarrhea or vomiting should be reported to a medical professional, and patients should be careful not to become dehydrated. Drinking plenty of fluids is usually enough to prevent dehydration, although severe cases of diarrhea or vomiting may require IV fluids in a hospital setting.

Anaphylaxis may occur during a severe allergic reaction to honey. This can become fatal within a matter of minutes if emergency medical attention is not obtained. Symptoms of anaphylaxis may include swelling of the face, lips, or tongue, and the development of a rash that may or may not itch. Breathing may become difficult, sometimes causing the patient to lose consciousness. If anaphylaxis is suspected, emergency medical professionals should be contacted immediately, as attempting to transport the patient to the hospital via traditional means may not be fast enough.

Ad

More from Wisegeek

You might also Like

Discuss this Article

SteamLouis
Post 4

@burcinc-- People can have sensitivity and allergy to bee pollen. Raw honey is actually the worst kind of honey for people with honey allergy because it's full of bee pollen. Filtered honey that's sold in stores has less pollen and usually doesn't trigger allergies as badly.

I think the theory behind giving raw, local honey to people with seasonal pollen allergies is to help strengthen their immune system. But this is only applicable if an individual is not allergic to bee pollen found in honey. Someone with a honey allergy should never consume honey.

burcinc
Post 3

I can't believe honey can cause allergies. I thought that raw honey is recommended to people with pollen allergies. Am I wrong?

ddljohn
Post 2

@anon306927-- I'm not a doctor, but in my opinion, every allergy has the potential to be fatal. There is no guarantee that a mild allergic reaction isn't going to turn into anaphylaxis next time. Allergies aren't something that can be predicted.

For example, my younger brother recently developed an allergy to honey. He ate honey his whole life without problems! Now if he has even a little bit, he gets a rash and swollen lips.

anon306927
Post 1

I've had some friends before who had a honey allergy but the doctor said this is something that's manageable. It's not fatal and can easily be treated especially when you take antihistamines, at least that's what I think.

Post your comments

Post Anonymously

Login

username
password
forgot password?

Register

username
password
confirm
email