What Happens If I Eat Moldy Bread?

Article Details
  • Written By: Autumn Rivers
  • Edited By: Angela B.
  • Last Modified Date: 24 September 2014
  • Copyright Protected:
    2003-2014
    Conjecture Corporation
  • Print this Article

A stomach ache is one of the most common consequences of eating moldy bread, but there are other problems that also may occur. Some types of mold are more dangerous than others and can cause a serious illness that requires hospitalization. This is why you are advised not to eat moldy bread. Keep in mind that cutting the mold off is not considered a good solution, because the rest of the loaf may be full of tiny spores that you cannot see. To avoid both minor and major health issues, as well as an unpleasant taste, you should not eat moldy bread.

Mold is a type of fungus that thrives in warm, moist areas. Small spores of mold often float through the air and, when one lands on the surface of bread or some other perishable food, it releases chemicals that cause the food to start rotting. This fuels the mold's growth, allowing it to slowly take over the food, turning from white to black after a few days. If you are tempted to cut the visible mold away from the rest of the bread, you should know that mold spores are tiny and may have already invaded the full loaf. There is no telling whether the spores are affecting the rest of the bread, even if it looks unaffected, so cutting off the mold before you eat moldy bread is not always a wise solution.

Ad

Some people are more sensitive to mold than others, which is why moldy bread can cause a severe reaction for some while not being an issue for others. Not only can it cause a stomach ache, but it also may make it difficult or even impossible to breathe, resulting in death in the worst-case scenarios. Of course, in most cases, you will only notice a bad taste coupled with a slight stomach ache after you eat moldy bread, but there is no way to know which reaction you will have until it is too late. In addition, studies show mold can result in disorders of the nervous system, as well as depression, which you may be able to avoid by simply throwing moldy bread away.

It is not always possible to prevent mold from growing on old bread, but you can stop it from spreading. Rather than eat moldy bread, you should wrap it in a paper or plastic bag before throwing it away, because this can prevent pets from getting into the trash and eating it. You also should check any foods that have been stored near the bread, because mold can spread easily. In addition, consider cleaning the area of the pantry, counter or refrigerator where the bread was stored, because this can prevent leftover spores from affecting other food products.

Ad

More from Wisegeek

You might also Like

Discuss this Article

anon325809
Post 2

Like what the article said, no, because the spores may have spread to other parts of the bread.

anon287624
Post 1

What ifs the top of the loaf of bread has a bit of mold but the bottom half doesn't? Can I eat the bottom half?

Post your comments

Post Anonymously

Login

username
password
forgot password?

Register

username
password
confirm
email