What Is Diabetic Shock?

If an individual goes into diabetic shock, he or she may become confused, nervous and dizzy.
If left untreated, diabetic shock could lead to a coma or a loss of life.
Eating hard candies can quickly raise blood sugar.
Article Details
  • Written By: Nat Robinson
  • Edited By: Heather Bailey
  • Last Modified Date: 26 August 2014
  • Copyright Protected:
    2003-2014
    Conjecture Corporation
  • Print this Article

Diabetic shock is a condition that may happen due to a severe case of hypoglycemia. When a person has hypoglycemia, he or she has severely low levels of blood glucose. If the glucose levels get significantly low, the person may be in threat of going into shock. This can be a very dangerous situation, as the person can partially or completely lose consciousness. Quick medical attention should be given to any person displaying symptoms of diabetic shock.

There can be several different causes of this severe type of low blood sugar. A person with diabetes may go into diabetic shock following a dosage of diabetes medication. For instance, the shock may be induced by receiving too much insulin, which is commonly used to treat diabetes. The condition may also be caused by a lack of food, excessive drinking, an onset of diarrhea or vomiting and too much strenuous exercise. Although this condition is most prevalent in individuals with diabetes, any person can potentially go into shock if his or her blood sugar levels drop too low.

Generally, when an individual goes into diabetic shock, he or she will display certain symptoms. The person may develop double or blurry vision. He or she may also be impacted by confusion, nervousness and dizziness. Some people may come down with cold sweats and start to tremble or shake. There may also be convulsions, palpitations, fatigue and difficulty speaking and concentrating.

Ad

Some additional symptoms may also be present. A person may become really pale and the skin may become clammy. The size of his or her pupils may also start to change. An individual may become increasingly weak and feel as if he or she is about to faint. In fact, some people in diabetic shock may eventually pass out due to the extremely low levels of blood sugar.

A person in diabetic shock will need immediate medical attention. If left untreated, the condition could lead to a coma or a loss of life. Quick efforts will need to be made to raise the person's blood glucose level. If the person is in shock, he or she may be given glucose intravenously. This is the quickest way to get the substance into the system.

If a person is in diabetic shock, but still conscious and alert, there are things that may be done to prevent the person from becoming critically ill. He or she should be given some type of food product containing sugar, such as a piece of candy or some juice. An individual with diabetes may lower his or her chance of shock by monitoring his or her blood glucose levels at home to ensure they remain stable. Often, a person on medication for diabetes who suffers shock may need his or her medications altered to prevent a recurrence.

Ad

Discuss this Article

anon948760
Post 5

If a person is going into diabetic shock from low blood sugar, it may not be good for them to eat hard candy (as suggested in a sidebar) because they may choke on it. Drinking fruit juice or sugary soda is a better choice. Medical help may be needed.

anon310711
Post 4

I'm not sure about the diabetes but I happen to be epileptic (after having my first kid). I have been on almost every drug for it. Those are drugs that if you're not a fan of the side effects, get off. There are too many that could work better for you and your body. I will say you usually are prescribed three times a day or twice a day, not once.

anon299460
Post 3

I have a question about this. I wanted to know whether a person is able to remember that he had an episode of diabetic shock.

anon150348
Post 2

I'm no doctor and I'm only 18, so my explanation won't be right good or helpful, but I'm diabetic and have been for 15 years.

you say you have been having seizures yet i don't think i have ever had any, well, not to do with diabetes anyway. I've had hypos, which is basically where your blood sugar count goes so low it makes you almost pass out (in some cases you will pass out).

Maybe you should check with your GP about this one as it sounds like it may be something else rather than your diabetes (just my opinion, though i might be wrong). good luck and hope you get it sorted.

anon117960
Post 1

since march of this year i have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and since then every now and again i have been having seizures. my doctor gave me a prescription for dilantin capsules where i take three every night before bedtime.On Sunday night after taking the capsules i went into seizure again and had to be rushed to the hospital. what could be the cause? Because after taking the medication this happens.

Post your comments

Post Anonymously

Login

username
password
forgot password?

Register

username
password
confirm
email